Sunday, November 06, 2005

Blessed Assurance

This morning I got up and starting getting ready for the day. Being Sunday, that meant that I was getting up to get ready to head to church. Regardless of my destination however, it's not unusual for me to sing something - I'm a singing kind of guy.

There are two different types of songs that I can sing - or maybe it's two different motivations. Sometimes I sing a song from a movie I might have just watched or even a jingle that I hear on TV. Those in many cases are proximity songs. Other times I may sing songs I enjoy. But this morning, well, this morning the song came from the heart.

A moment to detour for some context...

When Jesus was teaching in parables to the crowds in Jerusalem he often confused his disciples. Frankly, they weren't a very bright lot - but I guess that just goes to illustrate the power of God more that the twelve dimwits that he started with turned the world upside down. Gives me hope that I can be used to! But I digress. Anyway, after one occasion when he confused the disciples regarding diet - he then explained that it is not what goes into a man (food) that makes him unclean because it goes into his stomach and out his body. However, what comes from a man's heart is what makes him unclean - for out of the heart the mouth speaks.

Now back to our story...

So, this morning, I found a song coming from my heart. I find this happens at times. There are just times when deep in my spirit there is so much going on that doesn't even surface to my mind - but it is still going on. On those occasions there are times when I wake up and sing - or just suddenly start singing songs that don't come from a thought - but from my spirit - and I believe in some cases like this morning, God's spirit.

The song that I sang is an old classic of the faith. It's not a classic because it is old, it was a classic even in its day (which was 1873 by the way). The song was Blessed Assurance, and the first line of the song is "Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine." Mind you, there is a lot more to the song than that line, but even that was enough this morning.

This may be something that some of you may not understand, but for a true Christian (regardless of your denomination), there is nothing more awesome, inspiring, humbling and joyous than knowing that "Jesus is mine." Knowing that regardless of your faith, or possible lack of it, or your sin and possible state of it - knowing that independent of your works (either too many or too few), knowing that independent of your witness, or if you've fallen off the tracks, yelled at your kids, kicked the dog or whatever - Jesus is yours. Oh! what a foretaste of glory divine!

You see, true Christianity isn't dependent on you - it is dependent on the grace of God (it is by Grace we are saved, by faith, and not by works lest anyone should boast). The fact that God has extended the offer of his unconditional love, and once you accept that in your heart nothing can take that away is amazing. No matter how well you're doing - or how bad - Jesus is yours. The same amazing God who spoke the universe into place, the same loving God that became man just so you could have the opportunity for life with him - he is yours AND you are his forever. Circumstances mean nothing - only God's grace. Only his determination to extend his love to you. That is a place of rest, a place of peace. That is something that can't be bought at any price.

Ah. Blessed assurance. To know that I am loved unconditionally. To know that my life has a hope and a future - and that God is determined to do good for me. That, my friends, is the way to start a Sunday morning from the heart! And not just in my heart - but from the heart of God.

I hope you make it a great day. Peace!

No comments: