Monday, May 15, 2006

The Burbank Chronicles - Part Deux

Hmmm. Being that I'm out here on the southern part of the left coast, I guess I should probably be using Spanish not French in the title, but... oh well for now.

So, day two dawns slightly brighter than day one. Yippie! Thankfully, I've got some sleep now and I'm almost fully functional, which is good because I've got a bunch of meetings set for today. This phase of the trip is all about meetings. Doing interviews and the like. It can be fun in some ways, and in other ways PAINFULLY boring. Thankfully, I've got so much information that I need to get it will be more engaging than not. I just have to make sure I don't totally crash around 3:00 or so when my body still thinks it's 6:00 or so.

I've found this incredible breakfast on the Hilton menu. Bircher Museli. Whole oats soaked in milk with raisins and nuts built in, then the fresh fruit of the day. Today was strawberries and banana's. It varied over the week, blueberries, granny smith apples, raspberries. Marvelously wonderful. And chock full of fiber! Important to the diet after all!

Lunch yesterday was good, we hit a local Mexican place. Lunch today was a Chinese Chicken salad from the heath food place around the corner. The chicken was good, the lettuce (the kind for Cesar salads) was fresh and crisp and the dressing was OUT of this WORLD! Yummy. Really it was a oil based with some great seasonings - but that is perfect on this essentially South Beach diet I'm working.

So, I was supposed to be heading out to my friend Seth's house, but I was in the office till 6:30, so no-go. It would have taken me at least an hour, probably 1 1/2 hours to get to Ventura where he is. So, I missed catching up with him and getting to go to the Bible study at his house. The good news is that I got to watch American Idol without having to wait till I got home and watch it on Tivo. Elvis night, very tough for Katherine, but I've got the MacFever and I'm a MacFan. You go girl! At the same time, Taylor was absolutely perfect. These tunes were right in his wheelhouse - including and wonderfully - In the Ghetto. For those who say Taylor is only about the SHOW, you need to hear his voice and his passion on a song like that. Brilliant. Chris - eh, 50/50. The second song didn't work for me at all. The first song was good except for the glasses. Elliot? Dude. What a voice. Absolutely 2 for 2. Really, I want all 4 of them to win this competition and as long as they don't put out absolute crap, I'll probably buy all of their albums - because they all will get record deals.

Anyway, then I watch some odd shows. Veronica Mars (because I skipped House - couldn't deal with the whole infant baby theme!) - which I caught about 1/2 way in. Believe it or not, I couldn't find much else to watch. And her dad is the guy that played Elliot from Just Shoot Me! How funny is that? After that, the Dead Zone with the kid (well, guy now) from 16 Candles and The Breakfast Club - Jon Michael Hall I think? Interesting concept, good mystery. I like how they let him be "psychic" without all the goofy hocus pocus. He touches stuff, BOOM, vision. It's more like he has this great device he can just turn on. Anyway, it was interesting enough for sure - especially considering the topic (illegal immigration) and my location!

That's it for now, time to pass out!

No comments: