Monday, December 26, 2005

Kvetch


The official Christmas post is coming, this is just a quick commentary.

Is it just me (being written at 2:30 am eastern time, USA - possibly in a state of sleep deprivation or just while being cranky) or do people that cannot use the words "their", "they're" and "there" make you nuts too?

I have the opportunity to work with someone that's a pretty dynamic and forward thinking individual that is very proactive. I can't do it. Why? Because their (possessive adjective) spelling is bad, their word usage isn't that great either, of course, neither is their grammar come to think of it. I just can't get past this.

Einstein was one of the most brilliant men of his time. Could he spell? Would I have missed that opportunity? Am I a snob? This stuff is just elementary to me. It was drilled into me by Sister Esther Marie (God rest her soul) when I was in elementary school.

By the way. I'm not a great speller either. Before the advent of the word processor and spell checker I lived with a dictionary next to me when writing. Which I guess makes this propensity of this individual even more perplexing and maddening. What, he can't compose in a word processor then cut and paste? What's the deal?

So, I tell you what. Let me know. Am I just kvetching, or is this a legit issue.

Peace!
Phillip

1 comment:

CyberGal said...

You suffer from a proper education. I almost deleted as 'spam' a forward from a friend. It began: "In web design it is important to write good" (oh! please. Should be "...write well"). This was meant as a joke, for a seriously good website! I'm seeing more and more really bad english, as our educational standards continue to deteriorate. I believe what you're reacting to is classed as "how to murder the English language". So, hang in they're!