Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Gift

I just got done watching Biography's show on Andre the Giant. Very cool. As a kid in the 60's and 70's watching Andre was amazing. And, of course like everyone, I loved him as the gentle giant in The Princess Bride. Andre was an effusive individual with a great talent to share, a big gift to make people smile. And, his opportunity ended at age 46 due to the condition that actually made him a giant.

Likewise, though at the same time totally unlike Andre, I've been told that I have a gift - and a big one - to share with the world. No, I'm not bragging, nor am I going to be immodest. It's something that's been said to me since I was young, not something that I just decided. No worries, I'm not the next psycho that has some group thinking they're catching space ships out of town. OK? But, I did want to mention it here.

A big difference between Andre and me is that Andre found out young what his gift was, and was able to pursue it. In me, I think I've always had an inkling, however I've been working on making me a better vessel to share the gift. It seems that until I'm ready mentally, emotionally and spiritually, I'll never see the full expression of my gifting. Oh, have I seen glimpses from time to time? Sure. But it's more like a baseball player that suddenly hits a towering 500 ft home run, then somehow returns to being a punch and judy doubles hitter. Or a basketball player (sorry for the sports analogies) that scores 50 points in a game, then suddenly drops back to scoring 18 pts on average.

But, still, the gift is there. And, I'm here still working it out. I'm excited that I'm getting closer to the day that the big breakthrough will happen, but of course thinking that hey! I'm not getting any younger here!

Having said that, here's my encouragement to you. I and I take solice in this as well. Zig Ziglar hit the big time when he was around 46 years old, about a year older than me. And he's not the only person to gain noteriety in a field, or "instant" success a bit later in life than these folks that hit the big time at 22 or something by founding an internet company. So, hang in there. Don't get discouraged. In fact, God even has his say in the book of Habbakuk where he says to wait on the vision because it will happen in due time.

Keep at it. Keep pushing. Keep growing. Don't stop. You NEVER know what's around the next corner. Don't let set backs keep you back. There is no one that hasn't hit obstacles in life. Push through them. Draw strength from those you love around you. Continue to pour out love. Stay single minded and rejoyce. It will happen. It will come to pass. Believe it to be true, not because I've said so, but because God has said it of you. Then let me know how it comes out, OK?

Peace!

No comments: