Saturday, October 29, 2005

Houston - we have a problem.

Yup, there's trouble in River City for sure. Nothing that won't work out at the end I'm pretty sure, but it sure is trouble.

We just found out yesterday that Shanna's pregnancy is a bit at risk. Which of course came as a surprise being that we had just had the ultrasound done on the 19th (about 10 days ago). But, the midwife called to tell Shanna that there is a chance that she has placenta previa and that she needs to check back in for another ultrasound in a couple of weeks (mid-November). So, Houston - we have a problem.

Now, if you've read my previous post then you'll also have a guess at how I'm reacting to this. I am not freaking out - though I'll admit to temptation. It's much tougher for me not to freak out when it comes to the health of a family member, especially my wife and as yet born baby girl. And, we have a friend that had placenta previa who's baby was born prematurely and died within a week or so of being born. So naturally, there is an inclination to say "WHOA!" However, I'm still of the same mind that I was in the previous post and that is that God is God and he's in control. This isn't a surprise to God, it didn't sneak up on him - and being that I trust him then I should be calm as well.

Don't think I've lost my marbles here. There is a valid reason to think this way. You see, there are times in life (especially when you've surrendured your life to God - which means you've given him carte' blanch to work you over to make you into the individual that he's created you to be) that God allows this kind of stuff to happen in a life or two. It doesn't mean that God is evil or cruel and it certainly doesn't mean that there is no God because a "bad" thing is happening to a "good" person (or persons). What it does mean is that there is an opportunity for character, priority, understanding and life adjustments. And, it also means that there is then a test that provides a testimony. And the testimony will be of God's goodness, grace and provision. After all, it is all about him.

In this case, whatever the result (and I must note that there is a chance based on the location of the placenta that as the pregnancy progresses the previa may be negated) I'm sure that everything will be fine. And that means whatever the result. My responsibility now is to find out what I need to do and what I can learn from the situation. Who knows, maybe it will be God's way of adjusting the amount of time I spend serving my wife (she's an Acts of Service girl for a love language, so maybe that improves our relationship even more?!), or maybe because I spend more time at home or dealing with family things I have to get better at prioritizing my extra curricular activities. So, who knows maybe that means no more podcast? (horrors!). Maybe it means I have to be in better shape because I have more to do around the house and with the kids? Maybe it means I need to be more focused on the business so that I can generate more income to pay the hospital bills? Who knows right now. I don't.

But, I do know this. It's an opportunity! So, yes, Houston we do have a problem but that problem is not insurmountable. In fact, it's when we run into problems or obstacles that we actually do our best thinking and come up with our best solutions. With that in mind, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I'm looking forward to seeing how this brings me closer to God, how it benefits my relationship with my wife and children and even how it effects my business. And more than all that, I'm looking forward to seeing what God does for us. He's a very cool God and I know he has plans for GOOD for us.

In the Old Testament of the Bible, Jeremiah says this in chapter 29, verse 11 through 14 "For I know what I have planned for you,’ says the Lord. I have plans to prosper you, not to harm you. I have plans to give you a future filled with hope. When you call out to me and come to me in prayer, I will hear your prayers. When you seek me in prayer and worship, you will find me available to you. If you seek me with all your heart and soul, I will make myself available to you, says the Lord."

With that in mind - we move on grateful for today and looking forward to tomorrow!

Peace out!

No comments: